struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Why Deprecated method getInputForm()??
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:12:17 GMT
Shamdasani Nimmi-ANS004 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the latest version of Struts build of 9/20. When I recompile an
> existing java file which was working fine with older builds I get the
> warning:

Ah, I see that I forgot to announce some information on STRUTS-USER.

In preparation for a 1.0 release (targeted for ApacheCon Europe in October), I
have upgraded the Struts controller servlet to accept a new configuration file
format with improved capabilities, and (more importantly) can be extended in the
future without breaking backwards compatibility.  To see the new format, check
out the file WEB-INF/struts-config.xml in the example application.

Besides being a much more useful general format, the new configuration files are
now validated against a corresponding DTD file (file
"src/conf/struts-config_1_0.dtd" in the nightly distribution).  This will help
ensure correct configuration files, and will facilitate preparing the config
files with development tools that are XML aware.

The old configuration file format is still the default and is still supported,
but I hope to phase out support for it by the 1.0 release.  In the mean time,
you need to set initialization parameter "validate" to "true" on the controller
servlet in your web.xml.  The docs will be updated to reflect all this in the
near term.

As part of the general cleanup, I also took the opportunity to simplify the
attribute names used on the <action> element.  In addition, the definition of
form beans has been moved so that multiple actions can share the same bean by
logical name instead of by class.  The corresponding changes have been made to
ActionMapping (which is now a class instead of an interface), and the old method
names have been deprecated.  Check the Javadocs in the documentation application
-- the description of each deprecated method will tell you what has replaced it.

Look for a more comprehensive explanation of the expected changes between now
and 1.0 soon.

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat