struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Struts vs Turbine
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:36:49 GMT
Kevin Duffey wrote:

> I am curious though..why would the apache group have two similar projects
> going on at once? One not combine them into a single overal package? Or are
> they serving completely different purposes?

The answer(s) are political, not technical:

* Because the primary developers of Turbine do not like JSP in any way,
  shape, or form.  I'm not going to try to characterize their reasoning --
  just suffice it to say that I do like JSP, and especially the power that
  custom tags give you to encapsulate behavior.

* Because I prefer to build things compatible with J2EE standard APIs
  when they exist.  Of course, I had the advantage of
  starting *after* the J2EE specs were defined -- Turbine now has
  to decide whether to stick with their legacy approaches or support
  J2EE-style access to things like connection pools, etc..

Based on this, alternative tools to fit the alternative world views seems more
appropriate than trying to mix oil and water :-).

Craig

--
                                    Applications to Tomcat