struts-user mailing list archives

From "Nuorteva, Kare" <Kare.Nuort...@satama.com>
Subject RE: File uploads support?
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:22:13 GMT

Hello,

> If we wanted Struts to become file-upload-aware, one of the issues is
> "what
> do we actually want to do with the uploaded file?  The answer
> to this is
> probably application specific (rather than general).
>
> Craig McClanahan

I guess it might be a better idea to design the file upload as a streaming
object or something like this (this is just a quick draft):

This class represents the file being uploaded (Blob in database/File in file
system).
UploadedFile extends File
------------------
- mimeType
------------------
------------------

This class provides methods to copy the content of each multipart to an
OutputStream
MultiPartInputStream extends InputStream implements Iterator
------------------
------------------
+ copy(OutputStream)
+ getHeaders():Hashtable

Also some utility class with helper methods might be convenient.

With this kind of a framework it should be quite easy to design and
implement own DataBean to handle file upload related functionality.

Cheers,
Kare 8^)

--
Kare Nuorteva, Software Engineer