struts-dev mailing list archives

From J C <jcyh24...@yahoo.ca.INVALID>
Subject Re: Struts 2.5.19 test build is ready
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2019 20:10:31 GMT
Hello Greg (and everyone).

Unfortunately it's a situation of trade-offs for detecting an unexpected change to devMode
vs. when you have intentionally decided to do so.  Under the circumstances there may only
be two ways to address the impact:

1) Suppress all log output below level Error for "com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack"
using the application's log configuration (for loggers that support such).  If you're doing
development with devMode true then it could be an appropriate response.

  If you're using Apache Commons Logging then suppressing the warnings should be possible
with a commons-logging configuration entry something like:
  com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack.level=ERROR

  If you're using log4j2 then using a sample configuration from the Log4J site (https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/customloglevels.html#DefiningLevelsInConfiguration)
as a reference, it should be possible to suppress the unwanted log messages using something
like:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <Configuration status="WARN">
       <Appenders>
          ... define your console/file appenders here ...
      </Appenders>
      <Loggers>
        <Logger name="com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack" level="ERROR" additivity="true">
 <!-- Suppress WARN and below -->
        <Root level="trace">
          <AppenderRef ref="Console" level="debug" />
           ... define the rest of your appender reference here ...
        </Root>
      </Loggers>
    </Configuration>

2) Modify source com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack line 107 and change the log-level
for the statement to "debug" in the Struts build.
  Doing that would avoid the output for logging configurations that use INFO and above levels,
but developers would still see the message when running at debug level.

Trying 1) above with commons-logging worked for me, but unfortunately I don't have access
to the configuration I used to double-check right now.  For Log4J2 there's a nice general
overview ( https://www.journaldev.com/7128/log4j2-example-tutorial-configuration-levels-appenders
) that might be of use as well.

It's probably possible with SLF4J as well, but I don't have experience with the syntax.

Could you try to see if using a log configuration change something like the above works in
your circumstances (to suppress unwanted warning output) and then let the Dev list know ?

Thanks,
James.

p.s.  I didn't encounter any functional issues with the 2.5.19 test build during some checks
earlier in the week (mostly with core functionality and a little tiles-plugin).