struts-dev mailing list archives

From Yasser Zamani <yasser.zam...@live.com>
Subject Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:13:52 GMT

On 10/23/2017 12:54 PM, Lukasz Lenart wrote:
> I would add an abstraction to cover direct need for Servlet 3.0 Async
> API. I don't know how do you want to implement this (directly in the
> Core or via a plugin) but having such abstraction give us flexibility
> and allows use different implementations.

Today I successfully got an async result from my local branch of Struts
:) In this branch I did not change and keep Servlet 2.4 dependency but
created a wrapper which invokes Servlet 3's API via reflection. Works as
WW-4874's description.

That works but somehow is not awesome so I decided not pull requesting
it now. I should do one thing before this. I discovered, currently,
action invocation and result execution are hardly coupled in Struts. For
example DefaultActionInvocation not only invokes action but also calls
pre-result listeners and executes result!

So, at first, I will be working on separating coupled action invocation
and result execution while keeping same functionality as before.

Then, after merge of above as a PR, if I could have robust
implementation (e.g. timeout and etc listeners) via reflection, then I
will PR against core, else against plugins.

wdyt?

With Best Regards,
Yasser.