struts-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <davelnew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2017 15:02:24 GMT
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Yasser Zamani <yasser.zamani@live.com> wrote:
> Or if for example we can run interceptors in parallel.

That would require developer knowledge since some interceptors are strictly
order-dependent. Not impossible, but would require explicit configuration.

The only real place I can see actors being helpful (without thinking hard
about it) is once the request has hit an action and the action is doing multiple
things that would be easily parallelizable, e.g., if it's hitting a
bunch of endpoints
or doing mutually-exclusive DB lookups etc.

Running requests in parallel to actors is fine, but there are already solutions
for spreading requests over cores/processes.

Shoveling off stuff like logging/analytics etc. into actors is also
fine, but I'm
not sure we'd want to put that into Struts Proper, and don't we already have
a logging layer that would allow async logging? (I don't recall.)

Dave

--
e: davelnewton@gmail.com
m: 908-380-8699