struts-dev mailing list archives

From Rene Gielen <rgie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to select how to solve issue?
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:21:55 GMT
Am 13.02.17 um 12:10 schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
>> 2. When I fixed WW-4694, I discovered that our AnnotationUtils has not
>> any tangible improvement for about 4 years and also, with my changes, a
>> method named isAnnotatedBy will be almost useless or duplicate. But
>> Spring has a similar class with same name and purpose which has been
>> wrote more robust and much newer than our one. I'm sure I can merge them
>> carefully with respect to not breaking the rest of the current codes and
>> also, merge only until my changes get clear, beauty and known future
>> bugs free, not merge everything. But is it recommended by you? Or no,
>> you prefer fewer changes but with higher possibility of future bugs and
>> maybe ugly code as changes made day by day?
>
> It also depends :) If it is possible to resolve issue without coping,
> that's good, but if there is already a fix at hand and the solution
> isn't too specific (which can harm users at some point) I don't mind
> borrowing code ;-)

To get more into detail here: Copying from other OS licensed code is ok
as long as all requirements are met.

First off, it must be an OS license that is compatible with ASL V2.0.
See https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-a for a complete list.

Second, we have to comply with specific license requirements of the
original work. In case of Spring both is quite easy, since they are
using ASL 2.0 themselves.

The important section in ASL 2.0 is cited below. As long theses
requirements are met, derived code is ok to be included legally.

- René

4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work
or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without
modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the
following conditions:

You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a
copy of this License; and
You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
that You changed the files; and
You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices
from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not
pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its distribution,
then any Derivative Works that You distribute must include a readable
copy of the attribution notices contained within such NOTICE file,
excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the
Derivative Works, in at least one of the following places: within a
NOTICE text file distributed as part of the Derivative Works; within the
Source form or documentation, if provided along with the Derivative
Works; or, within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and
wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents of the
NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and do not modify the
License. You may add Your own attribution notices within Derivative
Works that You distribute, alongside or as an addendum to the NOTICE
text from the Work, provided that such additional attribution notices
cannot be construed as modifying the License.

You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and may
provide additional or different license terms and conditions for use,
reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or for any such
Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use, reproduction, and
distribution of the Work otherwise complies with the conditions stated
in this License.

--
René Gielen
http://twitter.com/rgielen