struts-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Stone <xt...@stonescape.net>
Subject ParametersInterceptor: Can we inject a filter?
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 16:03:36 GMT
I have been updating my distributions, but still see many attempts to compromise my installation
through parameter submission like this:

ERROR

com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor

Developer Notification (set struts.devMode to false to disable this message):
Unexpected Exception caught setting 'redirect:${#res=#context.get('com.opensymphony.xwork2.dispatcher.HttpServletResponse'),#res.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8"),#req=#context.get('com.opensymphony.xwork2.dispatcher.HttpServletRequest'),#res.getWriter().print("dir:"),#res.getWriter().println(#req.getSession().getServletContext().getRealPath("/")),#res.getWriter().flush(),#res.getWriter().close()}'
on 'class java.lang.String: 100

I have an IP based blacklist and expiry for people who attempt invalid mail submissions (injecting
mail commands in subjects programatically, etc.) It works really well to blacklist IPs temporarily.
I would like to do the same with these kind of submissions. If someone attempts to inject
commands in parameters, I would like to be able to intercept that and ban them.

I know I can insert an interceptor before ParametersInterceptor is called. I would rather
be able to catch when a parameter is not there or banned, or the length is inappropriate and
have a chance to respond. It would also cut down the number of interceptors and improve response
time. I would also like to not need a custom ParametersInterceptor, as it can be problematic
to update with new Struts releases.

Can anyone help me with a new perspective or solution to this problem? Is anyone interested
in a solution if I code a handler for bad requests, and insert code into ParametersInterceptor
to allow the handler to process the bad response. My thought is that it would take the package,
action, parameter, value, and the parameters map as values.

Thanks for you thoughts!

— Christian