struts-dev mailing list archives

From Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts 2.3.21 ready for test
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 10:18:22 GMT
> Hi,
>
> thanks Lukasz for preparing this new release. One question to the new Java8
> Plugin.
> Is this a real use case for creating a official plugin we want to support
> in future?
>
> I mean it is a fix for the convention plugin in a specific JDK version.
> Developers are maybe are confused when later Java9 or Java1X is released.
>
> Is it not better to move this logic directly to the convention plugin and
> name it like LambdaExpressionClassFinder or something similar?

The problem is with dependencies - you cannot have two the same
dependencies but with different versions, it won't compile :( I
started with this approach but because of classpath conflicts I had to
move this into the plugin. Compare the dependencies:

XWork
https://github.com/apache/struts/blob/develop/xwork-core/pom.xml#L128-L135

Plugin
https://github.com/apache/struts/blob/develop/plugins/java8-support/pom.xml#L33-L46

Both ASM dependencies defined in parent
https://github.com/apache/struts/blob/develop/pom.xml#L590-L609

It wouldn't have been a problem if ASM had used different package
names, the same as we use for S1 and S2 - now you end up with class
name clash :|

I'm not sure if this is the right approach - but it was the best
possible idea and we can throw it away in S2.5 or just drop the plugin
and tell people how to add support for Java8 (you must implement
interface and that's all)

Regards
--
Ɓukasz