struts-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Nenning <Christoph.Nenn...@lex-com.net>
Subject Antwort: Re: Submitting patches
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 11:34:39 GMT

> > Last time I tried to install git flow on centos 6 it was not
compatible
> > with some packages or other, and was not able to do it.  Maybe because
> > installed git from the git website rather than the older yum version.
> >
> > What distro do you use?
> >
> > Also, is there an easier work around for no git flow?
>
> I think we should re-discuss usage of Git-flow in Struts. Some
> concepts are right and we can use them without Git-flow in place. And
> in most cases Git-flow blocks some operations instead helping us.
>
> Basically you can use native git client and use --no-ff when merging
> your future branch back to develop, nothing else is important. Also
> dedicated feature / hot-fix / support path are not so important and
> very often cause confusion :\
>
> Basically what I want to keep is the usage of develop branch and
> merging with --no-ff flag, the rest isn't giving enough value to
> bother with ;-)

So it is something like "branching model light", or "lightweight branching
model".

As summary:

- Small changes go into develop (which is majority of commits/pushes)
- Big changes *might* get their own branch. Especially when it is not
clear if a change will be published with some releases in between.
- Hot fixes (security stuff) need own branches based on latest tag.
- master is read-only and used to create tags

merges:
- when a hotfix is published it must be first merged to master and tagged,
it must be merged into develop as well
- normal realeases are merged into master and tagged
- when a feature-branch is finished it is merged into develop

Or ist that still too complicated?

Regards,
Christoph