struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Less boilerplate in code
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 16:28:02 GMT
Hi all,

with Struts 3.x we are allowed to "break things" and it is expected that
we do major steps.

Personally I would like to remove any custom made logging layer
and move on to a more standard one. Performance is not an issue, when
logging
is done right:
http://www.grobmeier.de/log4j-2-performance-close-to-insane-20072013.html

I consider commons-logging almost dead. It will not be developed much
further, at least
not when looking at recent activity of the past years.

I think slf4j is stable and well maintained. You can even use log4j2
with it.

Saying log4j2 I am pretty much biased and need to tell you that log4j2
also
provides a logging interface similar to slf4j with which you can switch
implementations.

In no case I would go to anything exotic or jul. The latter one often
needs wrappers
to work as wanted.

That being said, I only see slf4j and log4j. If we want to stick in the
ASF world
we can use the log4j2 interfaces and explain how to integrate in example
logback.
That would be my preferred choice. Also I think log4j2 provides more
features and
is pretty much better maintained (my personal opinion)

If we want to use something which is longer on the market, then slf4j.

cheers

---
http://www.grobmeier.de
The Zen Programmer: http://bit.ly/12lC6DL