struts-dev mailing list archives

From Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Less boilerplate in code
Date Sat, 17 May 2014 06:52:40 GMT
Some were already addressed, another thing is that across the
framework we are using different semantic inside logging messages, ie:
"Value [#0] was excluded by pattern [#1]" and re-writing all these
doesn't make sense. Right now XWork logging facade is very thin - one
class implementing Logger interface and another implementing
LoggerFactory - the rest is delegated to given logging library.

Besides that, users don't care what kind of logging library framework
is using - till it doesn't interfere with the one used in their apps
or clashes with logging layers from other frameworks. Switching
entirely to SLF4j can break few apps and we'll get a lot of complains
why (not the first time ;-)

My plan looks like this:
- add checking if given log level is enabled inside logging methods
- start migrating code to the new semantic (removing if (LOG.isXxxEnabled())
- migrate the rest of logging calls to use parameter substitution
- (or start with this before previous step) use Onyx instead of
current LoggerUtils
- change order of discovering logging libs on the classpath and put SLF4j on top

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/