struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ken McWilliams <ken.mcwilli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strict DMI
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:21:01 GMT
I didn't mean to say that "action:" didn't make any sense, which I agree it
doesn't; But that "method:" really isn't any different. The @Action
annotation can be applied at the method level of the action class. The
use-case for the method prefix seems to be completely addressed by using
the @Action annotation at the method level, multiple times in one action.
Thus a @Method annotation would serve little purpose since there is already
an obvious remedy.

What I meant by the definition of action being taken in a different
context... the documentation of the "method:" prefix seems to indicate that
the Action Class is the "action" and that it is somehow convenient to be
able to address another method of the _action_. Why not just do it
directly? That is why I ask: What am I missing?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I don't think "action:" will be supported beyond 2.5. It is a feature that
> doesn't make sense. All buttons that belong to a form need to be processed
> by the action of the form for security to work. That's what I think.
>
> Paul
>

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Ken McWilliams <ken.mcwilliams@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > What am I missing? Why not just the @action annotation? The whole method
> > annotation seems to have risen out of a poor definition of "action". I
> > consider the action the entire follow of execution. From mapping to
> result
> > (Interceptors and the Action class too).
> >
> > From the DefaultActionMapper documentation:
> >
> > *With method-prefix, instead of calling baz action's execute() method (by
> > default if it isn't overriden in struts.xml to be something else), the
> baz
> > action's anotherMethod() will be called. A very elegant way determine
> which
> > button is clicked. Alternatively, one would have submit button set a
> > particular value on the action when clicked, and the execute() method
> > decides on what to do with the setted value depending on which button is
> > clicked. *
> >
> > If you need an annotation on "anotherMethod" @action would be
> functionally
> > equivalent to @method. Of course you wouldn't be able to use the
> "method:"
> > prefix but then you wouldn't have any need.
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlenart@apache.org
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I think @ActionMethod or @Method is very handy. I'm still wondering
> > > about how to map which actions are allowed to be used with "action:"
> > > prefix - what about dropping "action:" prefix and stick only with
> > > "method:" and "<s:form method=...>" ?
> > >

> > > Regards
> > > --
> > > Łukasz