struts-dev mailing list archives

From Rene Gielen <rene.gie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [trademark] The term "Strutsathon"
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:35:05 GMT
As a first reaction one might find the trademark discussion Christian
brought up a bit picky, but it isn't.

There has been a lot of traffic on the board list regarding trademark
issues last year, resulting in an enforced policy for PMCs to watch and
protect their and Apache's trademarks. You might have noticed that for
quite a few of subsequent board reports I added a trademark section.
Also, we updated our site to include an updated trademark footer and a
logo containing the copyright sign. This happened all along the lines of
the board requesting the PMCs to observe and enforce trademark
protection guidelines.

So what happened here? Christian coined the term "Strutsathon", and it
proved to attract interest, at least by others re-using it. Being aware
of the issues raised by the board regarding trademarks, Christian found
the term being worth to protect. As the originator of the term, he did a
formal donation to the Struts project so that we can protect it as a
trademark. This is in our best interest, since *we* as the Struts
project want to be in control of Struts related terms. We can happily
donate the right to use them to anybody who likes to. We would not be so
happy if EvilCorp registers an obviously Struts related trademark and
infringes us or our users for "naively" using it. In taking the first
step to formally add a term like this to our trademark assets, we keep
EvilCorp from being evil to us, which IMO a good thing.

While our first and foremost interest is to write, support and publish
great open source software, we as the PMC have to deal with formal
requirements from time to time. Please don't take this easy, as the
board and the membership won't take this easy either.

- René

Am 13.10.13 15:21, schrieb Christian Grobmeier:
> On 13 Oct 2013, at 14:05, Dave Newton wrote:
>
>> Meh. What does it matter?
>
> You mean, why should we support Hackathons around Struts?
> Or why should we protect our trademarks?
>
> The first question is obvious. So more so better.
>
> The second question: I followed the problems of Hadoop, CouchDB and so on.
> If we generally allow the use of the term Strutsathon we can not ask for
> respecting
> our trademarks if a commercial entity abuses it (in our eyes).
>
> I believe it should be in the hands of the PMC to keep control of
> Strutsathons and protecting
> the trademark of it is in my opinion a first step.
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>
>> On Oct 12, 2013 5:44 PM, "Christian Grobmeier" <grobmeier@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 12 Oct 2013, at 21:31, Dave Newton wrote:
>>>
>>> Adding "-athon" is common, I'm not sure I understand why we're
>>> discussing
>>>>

>>> Please read my initial email. Besides adding it as a trademark, I
>>> suggest
>>> to create some pages to support community driven Strutsathons

Rights

Software