struts-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache CMS / svnpubsub
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2012 13:21:05 GMT
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Rene Gielen <rgielen@apache.org> wrote:
>> Do we vote on the website if we release a new version?
>>
> We do not vote in general about our website changes. For changes induced
> by project releases, the release manager usually takes the plunge to
> update the site. We trust our committers to be nice and thoughtful :) As
> the site templates live in svn already and currently are deployed with a
> maven build, it was always easy to rollback changes if something bad
> happened.

Looks like Commons alone votes on the website :-)
I think its good Struts doesn't.

> If I understand this right, we have two options to deal with our "main
> site", which is basically everything on s.a.o excluding the confluence
> exports:
> - move to CMS
> - maintain via svnpubsub
> The latter one, if I get this right, is basically the same as we had
> before with a changed transport - so instead of pushing the actual built
> HTML with ssh, we'd rather generate them into a svn-checkout and commit
> them.

Thats also my understanding.

> A CMS, on the other hand, is a ... CMS :) Sounds like live editing and
> such stuff. Do you have experience with the workflow improvements to
> expect, over using snvpubsub?

The CMS is a bit ugly (forgive me cms devs, if you read that) but
works very well. As website maintainer, you would create a "working
space", do your changes and publish it. As it works on the back of svn
its like a svn creating a branch, changing and committing your text
and finally merging into trunk. It makes maintaining the website
pretty easy.

For example, you could look at the main Apache site.
https://cms.apache.org/www/wc/browse/grobmeier-rtuhJr/trunk/content/dev/cms.mdtext
Its written with Markdown. It easy to edit with the Chrome extension
(don't know currently where to download).

Ivan from the log4php team has made some Twig based templates for
Logging. Its now used on the mainsite logging.apache.org.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/cms/trunk/

The content is maintained via the CMS. So you see, its possible to
make some kind of good design with it.
Here is another good link:
http://wiki.apache.org/logging/BuildingTheWebSite
for running the website locally (if you want some more geek stuff its
not necesary)#

That said, its kind of work to move it out from mvn to the CMS.

My suggestion: move what we have now with the build we use now. Then
we can decide if walk the next step and use the CMS for our content.

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de