struts-dev mailing list archives

From Rene Gielen <rgie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache CMS / svnpubsub
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:41:18 GMT
See inline ...

Am 10.12.12 10:14, schrieb Christian Grobmeier:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlenart@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> 2012/12/10 Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com>:
>>> we are listed as project using an page publishing system which will stop
>>> working in 3 weeks. I never saw a cms discussion here... did i miss it?
>> we
>>> need to act pretty quickly. I am far from an expert in that area but have
>>> helped with logging migration and might be able to add a few cents if
>>> Struts does need it.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I understand that correctly - do we have to move the
>> whole documentation from Confluence as well ? Or is it just related to
>> the site ? But what about our release process... confused :\
>>

> Confluence as a wiki is untouched, its just not possible to use it as "main
> site", whatever it means. The requirement is that we store our website
> somewhere in an svn tree.

Some more details on why & how:
http://journal.paul.querna.org/articles/2010/10/22/evolution-of-apaches-websites/
http://apache.org/dev/project-site.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html

> Do we vote on the website if we release a new version?

We do not vote in general about our website changes. For changes induced
by project releases, the release manager usually takes the plunge to
update the site. We trust our committers to be nice and thoughtful :) As
the site templates live in svn already and currently are deployed with a
maven build, it was always easy to rollback changes if something bad
happened.

>>> Can anybody tell me what the current status is?
>>
>> As Philip said, nothing happened :/

confirmed from  my side as well ...

> OK, lets act quickly with that one now :-|
> Otherwise we'll not be able to update our website, or so I understood it.
>
> basically we could do it as we do it in logging:
>
> - request a test cms aka struts-test.apache.org
> - maintain the main site with the Apache CMS
> - create extref (or so) for subsites
> - create the site via mvn, copy the target to the new svn tree
>
> Is this a process we can live with?

If I understand this right, we have two options to deal with our "main
site", which is basically everything on s.a.o excluding the confluence
exports:
- move to CMS
- maintain via svnpubsub
The latter one, if I get this right, is basically the same as we had
before with a changed transport - so instead of pushing the actual built
HTML with ssh, we'd rather generate them into a svn-checkout and commit
them.
A CMS, on the other hand, is a ... CMS :) Sounds like live editing and
such stuff. Do you have experience with the workflow improvements to
expect, over using snvpubsub?

René

--
René Gielen