struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: Rename @Inject to @StrutsInject
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 17:53:14 GMT
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> I would leave it alone. Hibernate has many custom annotations with the
> same name as JPA annotations... if you need both, one needs to be
> fully qualified.

I agree with Paul, one of the benefits of having packages is the
ability to have classes with the same name. There is no reason to
change the name of the annotation.

> As developers prefer CDI over XWork annotations, then Struts' @Inject
> will fall out of use.

A while back, I remember Don Brown mentioning that it is a good idea
to keep the IoC/DI of the framework separate from the IoC/DI available
for users. I agree with this sentiment. Because of that, i don't think
we'll see our own @Inject fall out of use, internally. And, I don't
think our users are using @Inject in their web-apps. If we want to
properly support CDI for users, I think we should build an
ObjectFactory that is aware of CDI and allow users to register their
own container with it. If I remember correctly, someone started that
in the sandbox?

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher