struts-dev mailing list archives

From Rene Gielen <gie...@it-neering.net>
Subject Re: Rename @Inject to @StrutsInject
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 04:29:57 GMT
See inline

Am 08.07.11 19:53, schrieb Wes Wannemacher:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
>> I would leave it alone. Hibernate has many custom annotations with the
>> same name as JPA annotations... if you need both, one needs to be
>> fully qualified.
>>

> I agree with Paul, one of the benefits of having packages is the
> ability to have classes with the same name. There is no reason to
> change the name of the annotation.

+1

>> As developers prefer CDI over XWork annotations, then Struts' @Inject
>> will fall out of use.
>>

> A while back, I remember Don Brown mentioning that it is a good idea
> to keep the IoC/DI of the framework separate from the IoC/DI available
> for users. I agree with this sentiment. Because of that, i don't think
> we'll see our own @Inject fall out of use, internally. And, I don't
> think our users are using @Inject in their web-apps. If we want to
> properly support CDI for users, I think we should build an
> ObjectFactory that is aware of CDI and allow users to register their
> own container with it. If I remember correctly, someone started that
> in the sandbox?

+1 as well. If an "end-user" wants to make use of XWork's @Inject he
would most probably
a) know what and why he is doing
b) not use JSR-330 @Inject in the same class

Just to be clear, @Inject is not part of CDI but of JSR-330
(javax.inject), on which CDI (JSR-299) builds. The JSR-330 API is a
minimalistic jar with AFAIR 3 or 4 annotations definied, which makes it
easy to bind again without worries. That said, it might be an
interesting thought to extend the core object factory to respect
standard @Inject as an alternative to XW's @Inject, unless the CDI
plugin "overrules" with delegating to a fully featured CDI container.

Anyway, I don't see the benefit of such an drastic API change as
renaming one of our core annotations.

- René