struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: getting the container (or Configuration/ConfigurationManager) in a non-container-instantiated object
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:15:33 GMT
This isn't a request thread... It is spawned from a ServletContextListener.

I am still playing around, I have a ServletContext object right now
(in the debugger) and I'm seeing if I can get the container from
there.

I'll check out Ben's solution and see if that helps.

-Wes

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:43 PM, John Lindal <lindalj@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> The simplest solution - if it's possible - is to make the spawned thread a parent of
the request thread, and then grab what you need from the parent thread as soon as the child
thread starts.

> Does Struts2 use InheritableThreadLocal?  If it did, this would be even easier.
>
> John
>

> On 2/10/11 11:02 AM, "Wes Wannemacher" <wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
>
> Because, I'm not in a request-processing thread...
>
> In this app, I have a ServletContextListener that launches threads for
> managing some housekeeping stuff (in this case, looking for specific
> xml files in jars). I need the configured packages (PackageConfigs)
> within one of these threads.
>
> I did try to get the Dispatcher instance, but it kept coming back
> null, which led me to dig a bit and then I realized that I am not in a
> request processing thread (neither is the ServletContextListener that
> launched the thread). I am going to try to poke around the
> ServletContext to see if I can get the container that way.
>
> -Wes
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Maurizio Cucchiara
> <maurizio.cucchiara@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wes,
>> to be frankly I didn't get what you said.
>>
>> Dispatcher.getInstance().getContainer() should be yield a container
>> reference (among the other things it's the better way a know in order
>> to do that).
>>
>> What's the problem with the threadlocal stuff?
>>
>> On 10 February 2011 17:43, Wes Wannemacher <wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I am in a non-struts environment (spring class, loaded by a customer
>>> ServletContextListener), and I am trying to get my hands on the Struts
>>> 2 configuration. I first tried to do -
>>>
>>> Dispatcher.getInstance().getContainer()
>>>
>>> But, the dispatcher instance is a threadlocal. I don't really care
>>> about the dispatcher, I'd just like to get a ref to the container.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> -Wes
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wes Wannemacher
>>>
>>> Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
>>> Need Training? Struts, Spring, Maven, Tomcat...
>>> Ask me for a quote!

>> --
>> Maurizio Cucchiara

> --