struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Discussion - Using Nexus for snapshots and/or staging builds
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:52:01 GMT
Guys,

Would anyone think it is a good idea to utilize the apache nexus
instance here -

http://repository.apache.org

I see this as helping us potentially two ways -

First, I could configure hudson to push it's nightly builds directly
to the "snapshot" repo on this server. This would allow us to give
users a better experience in testing out nightly builds. To me (and I
could be wrong, it's just my experience) Hudson + Nexus is a much more
manageable combination than cron + scp.

Second, what is installed at repository.a.o is an instance of Nexus
Professional which includes a setup for staging builds. There is more
information here -

http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging.html

In a nutshell, we can run a release build and have it pushed to
"staging" on that server. Then, we can all test/etc. and eventually
vote. If the vote passes, from Nexus we can "promote" that build and
it will be pushed out to central. I haven't looked at our release
instructions, but they will change. From what I can tell, the
instructions will shrink since Nexus will be performing some of the
work for us.

Thoughts? I'd like some feedback before I call a vote. If we can come
to a consensus relatively quickly, I can probably get things in place
so that it will help Lukasz along while he is working to get 2.2.0
released.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher