struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving Struts 1 Doc to Confluence
Date Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:34:33 GMT
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> I would like to move the Struts 1 documentation from SVN to
> Confluence. As old (10 years almost?!) as Struts 1 is, today it is not
> possible for any community member to update it without having SVN
> commit access. I think it's too high a bar. Does anyone have any
> technical objections to this?

I find it extremely difficult to provide oversight for Confluence
based documentation because there are no 'commit diff' emails.  Unless
something has improved since I last looked, it sends the *entire* page
in html when a page changes.  Blech.

(There is an enhancement request for this somewhere in the public JIRA
for Confluence.)

Community wise, I'd rather give people commit access to work on the
docs.  Pushing the docs out where it's easier to give people access
makes it very easy to not bother to vote them in as committers, and we
lose valuable community members who might do more if they had access.

If the people working on the docs want to use Confluence, it's fine
with me, but those are a couple of concerns to consider.

--
Wendy