struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: struts 2.2 and guice
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:44:15 GMT
We could probably make a list and verify. I think the API should be pretty comprehensive about
a lot of those things.

-bp

On Dec 1, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Musachy Barroso wrote:

> ah I see what you mean. yes that would be a good idea, I think that
> would work as long as all the containers have what we need, which I am
> not sure if it is in the spec or not (havent read it), like:
>
> * create/inject objects and statics (duh)
> * lookup all implementation by type
>
> that's all I can think off the top of my head.
>
> musachy
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Brian Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com> wrote:
>> I was actually talking about expanding it out like Chris mentioned. I don't see any
reason why those who want to use the container that Struts is using shouldn't be able to.
Since the annotations and APIs will be standard across Guice and Spring with the JSR, it seems
like it would be possible to allow the application and framework to use the same DI container,
just different Injectors.

>> The default could be Guice but allow Spring to be pluggable (or even discoverable).
As long as the internals of Struts are compliant, it should work fine. This also provides
the benefit of configuration reduction in web.xml and a more comprehensive solution. It would
also get Struts out of the business of building objects and requiring additional configuration
and plugins for different DI containers. I would guess it would clean up the double ObjectFactory
issues as well.