struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: struts 2.2 and guice
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:38:17 GMT
Why do you say that and do you have specific examples? JCatapult uses a single container and
it is actually effective and very helpful. This allows you to easily get access to the public
API of JCatapult and also to override anything you want. It also makes things faster and lighter
weight. There are many applications and developers using it without major issues.

I wonder how many users are actually swapping out the ObjectFactory at this point and wouldn't
be fine with either Guice or Spring? There is also nothing stopping other DI containers from
implementing JSR 330 and I would expect most will.

I think the way to approach this is to have struts get out of the business of DI completely.
If everything in Struts uses the JSR annotations and APIs, then Struts is really just a component
of the web app and not really the "owner". The webapp would declare its primary DI provider
and then Struts would just wire up using that.

The JSR also supports tiered injectors, which could be used to isolate Struts. If Struts defines
generic modules, the webapp can easily place all those modules in a child injector if it wants.
Or if could place it the main injector if it wants access to everything. Struts shouldn't
be dictating its place in the webapp, the webapp should be dictating Struts place. Moving
to JSR 330 should fix a lot of this.

-bp

On Dec 7, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Don Brown wrote:

> Well, two things: sharing an IoC container with the app is almost
> always a bad idea in the long run, and two, maybe it is just me in a
> resource-constrained environment, but 651kb is definitely a big deal,
> especially if it brings in other dependencies like google collections.
> The fact that Struts 2 is almost 5 megs means it is a no-go for me to
> use in our embedded OSGi container.  I was hoping to get it back down
> under 2 megs, but with Guice 2, that would be quite unlikely.  What
> features exactly do we need or how many bugs have cropped up in our DI
> container that we would be avoiding?
>
> Don
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Musachy Barroso <musachy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We could have just one container (no double object factory), and
>> probably the same one could be used for s2 and the app (still to be
>> seen if feasible or not), get any new features that get added or are
>> in jsr 330, and we don't have maintain our own implementation when
>> there is a lib that already does it, like we usually do. Also, guice 2
>> main jar is 651 kbs, so I don't see much of a problem there.
>>
>> musachy
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Don Brown <mrdon@twdata.org> wrote:
>>> Late to the party, but I'm not clear why you would want to use Guice 2
>>> instead of our own.  Is there some feature we need that Guice 2 has?
>>> If not, we are basically sucking in a pretty significantly sized
>>> library for no apparent reason.  I tried to use Struts 2 on a project
>>> here, and was a bit shocked at the size of the jar nowadays...seems we
>>> went a bit crazy with the shading.  I'd generally advise against
>>> adding more bulk without obvious gains.
>>>
>>> Don

Do

should be pretty comprehensive about a lot of those things.

I think that

Chris mentioned. I don't see any reason why those who want to use the container that Struts
is using shouldn't be able to. Since the annotations and APIs will be standard across Guice
and Spring with the JSR, it seems like it would be possible to allow the application and framework
to use the same DI container, just different Injectors.

pluggable (or even discoverable). As long as the internals of Struts are compliant, it should
work fine. This also provides the benefit of configuration reduction in web.xml and a more
comprehensive solution. It would also get Struts out of the business of building objects and
requiring additional configuration and plugins for different DI containers. I would guess
it would clean up the double ObjectFactory issues as well.

you can still use any
internally to wire
is an old version of

<thechrispratt@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
as I can still swap in my trusty
moving away from it any time soon,
as possible on Struts.

and under ASLv2 since Guice uses

Injector's. I tend to think this

objects (request, response, etc.)
by the application. The Struts
objects that should not be
injector will contain all the
such.

Barroso wrote:

> [...]
also. I have a couple of concerns
of the jsr and will the API
(read ASF compatible license)
is usually a pain point when it

Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com>
and the JSR annotations rather than the
injector pluggable so that people can

Musachy Barroso wrote:

> [...]
of people before and everyone seems to agree
of our internal IoC container (guice pre 1.0
idea. I don't have any experience with guice
it seems like porting our stuff would not
maintain, and we get more
we go with this idea, guice would be shaded
conflicts.