struts-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Newfield <d...@newfield.org>
Subject Re: Conversations (continued from "struts 2.2 and guice")
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:24:41 GMT
Gabriel Belingueres wrote:
> built-in the web framework

In order to do this we'd need to add in some information in the form and
in every link leading from one page of the form to another so that it's
constantly submitted to the server to keep the user associated with the
right conversation.

The former could be done by adding a hidden element in the s:form
freemarker templates, and adding an interceptor that notices that value
and does the right thing (sortof like the checkbox interceptor, but
instead of modifying the request parameters it has to swap in the target
object -- I guess this only makes sense when used in combination with
the modelDriven framework (which I've always avoided)).

The latter is non-trivial (well, the same interceptor would work).  It
would mean context-sensitive changes to the output of the URL tag.  It
wouldn't be too tough for the url tag to look and see if it's inside a
s:form tag, but what about other links on the page outside the bounds of
the form?  What about ones generated before the form open tag?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to get something like this
working there are a bunch of moving parts that effect a number of pieces
of the framework, and cause the framework to have to inject much more
"magic" into the rendered pages.  If it were built in as part of the
framework I'd still want it to need to be explicitly specified wherever
it's desired (extra attributes on the form, url, and every input tag) so
that we don't have users getting freaked out about all the extra stuff
in their pages that they didn't ask for.

-Dale