struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: struts 2.2 and guice
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:33:54 GMT
Well, two things: sharing an IoC container with the app is almost
always a bad idea in the long run, and two, maybe it is just me in a
resource-constrained environment, but 651kb is definitely a big deal,
especially if it brings in other dependencies like google collections.
 The fact that Struts 2 is almost 5 megs means it is a no-go for me to
use in our embedded OSGi container.  I was hoping to get it back down
under 2 megs, but with Guice 2, that would be quite unlikely.  What
features exactly do we need or how many bugs have cropped up in our DI
container that we would be avoiding?

Don

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Musachy Barroso <musachy@gmail.com> wrote:
> We could have just one container (no double object factory), and
> probably the same one could be used for s2 and the app (still to be
> seen if feasible or not), get any new features that get added or are
> in jsr 330, and we don't have maintain our own implementation when
> there is a lib that already does it, like we usually do. Also, guice 2
> main jar is 651 kbs, so I don't see much of a problem there.
>
> musachy
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Don Brown <mrdon@twdata.org> wrote:
>> Late to the party, but I'm not clear why you would want to use Guice 2
>> instead of our own.  Is there some feature we need that Guice 2 has?
>> If not, we are basically sucking in a pretty significantly sized
>> library for no apparent reason.  I tried to use Struts 2 on a project
>> here, and was a bit shocked at the size of the jar nowadays...seems we
>> went a bit crazy with the shading.  I'd generally advise against
>> adding more bulk without obvious gains.
>>
>> Don
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Musachy Barroso <musachy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know about dropping Object factory, in this case it would just
>>> delegate to the jsr 330 implementation. But getting rid of the double
>>> object factory problem would be very nice.

be pretty comprehensive about a lot of those things.

mentioned. I don't see any reason why those who want to use the container that Struts is using
shouldn't be able to. Since the annotations and APIs will be standard across Guice and Spring
with the JSR, it seems like it would be possible to allow the application and framework to
use the same DI container, just different Injectors.

(or even discoverable). As long as the internals of Struts are compliant, it should work fine.
This also provides the benefit of configuration reduction in web.xml and a more comprehensive
solution. It would also get Struts out of the business of building objects and requiring additional
configuration and plugins for different DI containers. I would guess it would clean up the
double ObjectFactory issues as well.

I can still swap in my trusty
possible on Struts.

and under ASLv2 since Guice uses

I tend to think this

(request, response, etc.)
the application. The Struts
objects that should not be

wrote:

> [...]
I have a couple of concerns
the jsr and will the API
(read ASF compatible license)
usually a pain point when it

Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com>
the JSR annotations rather than the
pluggable so that people can

Barroso wrote:

> [...]
people before and everyone seems to agree
internal IoC container (guice pre 1.0
I don't have any experience with guice
it seems like porting our stuff would not
and we get more
go with this idea, guice would be shaded
conflicts.