struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: struts 2.2 and guice
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 15:23:57 GMT
Without too long of a reply, here are a few thoughts:

	- Solid, unchanging public APIs are possible
	- Refactoring and using the latest technologies is the only way to survive
	- This would not break separation or dictate it for that matter
	- It would force necessary clean up

 The benefit is that as Java 7 and JEE6 roll out and JSR 330 possibly gains momentum (which
I believe is guaranteed), people will look to the frameworks to support them. Here's a few
others that Struts should be using:

	303 - Bean validation
	315/316 - Async support

I'm sure there are others as well.

-bp

On Dec 8, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Don Brown wrote:

> Ok, here is how it works at Atlassian and most every software project
> I've been involved in - changing core dependencies is hard.  It is
> especially hard if you needed to fork said dependencies, which we've
> had to do quite often at Atlassian.  If a green-field Struts 2
> application decided, hey, let's just use Guice 2 just like Struts,
> then what happens down the line when Struts 2 goes to Guice 2.1, which
> is incompatible?  What if that app needed to customize Guice 2.0 or
> build specific functionality deep into the library?  Now, if they
> wanted to upgrade Struts 2?  They'd be stuck until they could upgrade
> their version of Guice 2?
>
> This is not a hypothetical situation.  At Atlassian, we have apps like
> JIRA that are 7 or 8 years old.  JIRA, for example, uses a forked
> version of PicoContainer 1.0 they had to customize for various
> reasons.  Why would they spend a month or two upgrading PicoContainer
> without gain when they could be building kick-ass features?  For this
> reason, Confluence is running Spring 2.0, Hibernate 2, and WebWork
> 2.1.7-atlassian-2.  It isn't that these products can never change
> dependencies, just the cost is really high for little to no gain, and
> if one major upgrade requires another, it is all the more reason not
> to do the upgrade at all.
>
> JSR 330 is not the magic bullet here.  Yes, services would then not be
> tied to a specific DI container, but all the configuration and direct
> DI container usage sure would be, and in Struts 2, we have heaps.
> Furthermore, this gives breaks the abstraction between the framework
> and the host app.  We already have enough problems in Struts 2 because
> we lack an proper API.  Externalizing our DI only exasperates this
> problem.  We might as well encourage devs to copy/paste Struts 2 into
> their project because upgrading sure will be a pain.
>
> Again, there are significant costs to this proposal, and I have yet to
> hear a substantial, real-world benefit.  Earlier, we went so far as to
> define our own logging API because we wanted to keep that boundary
> between the app and the framework.  Sometimes, strict boundaries are a
> very good thing.
>
> Don
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Brian Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com> wrote:
>> Why do you say that and do you have specific examples? JCatapult uses a single container
and it is actually effective and very helpful. This allows you to easily get access to the
public API of JCatapult and also to override anything you want. It also makes things faster
and lighter weight. There are many applications and developers using it without major issues.

>> I wonder how many users are actually swapping out the ObjectFactory at this point
and wouldn't be fine with either Guice or Spring? There is also nothing stopping other DI
containers from implementing JSR 330 and I would expect most will.

>> I think the way to approach this is to have struts get out of the business of DI
completely. If everything in Struts uses the JSR annotations and APIs, then Struts is really
just a component of the web app and not really the "owner". The webapp would declare its primary
DI provider and then Struts would just wire up using that.

>> The JSR also supports tiered injectors, which could be used to isolate Struts. If
Struts defines generic modules, the webapp can easily place all those modules in a child injector
if it wants. Or if could place it the main injector if it wants access to everything. Struts
shouldn't be dictating its place in the webapp, the webapp should be dictating Struts place.
Moving to JSR 330 should fix a lot of this.

>> -bp
>>

>> On Dec 7, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Don Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Well, two things: sharing an IoC container with the app is almost
>>> always a bad idea in the long run, and two, maybe it is just me in a
>>> resource-constrained environment, but 651kb is definitely a big deal,
>>> especially if it brings in other dependencies like google collections.
>>> The fact that Struts 2 is almost 5 megs means it is a no-go for me to
>>> use in our embedded OSGi container.  I was hoping to get it back down
>>> under 2 megs, but with Guice 2, that would be quite unlikely.  What
>>> features exactly do we need or how many bugs have cropped up in our DI
>>> container that we would be avoiding?
>>>
>>> Don

I think

the API should be pretty comprehensive about a lot of those things.

what we need, which I am
read it), like:

out like Chris mentioned. I don't see any reason why those who want to use the container that
Struts is using shouldn't be able to. Since the annotations and APIs will be standard across
Guice and Spring with the JSR, it seems like it would be possible to allow the application
and framework to use the same DI container, just different Injectors.

to be pluggable (or even discoverable). As long as the internals of Struts are compliant,
it should work fine. This also provides the benefit of configuration reduction in web.xml
and a more comprehensive solution. It would also get Struts out of the business of building
objects and requiring additional configuration and plugins for different DI containers. I
would guess it would clean up the double ObjectFactory issues as well.

wrote:

> [...]
itself, you can still use any
is used internally to wire
moment is an old version of

Pratt <thechrispratt@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
as long as I can still swap in my trusty
my team moving away from it any time soon,
current as possible on Struts.

distribution and under ASLv2 since Guice uses

the Injector's. I tend to think this

the JEE objects (request, response, etc.)
be used by the application. The Struts
the private objects that should not be
The App injector will contain all the
and such.

Musachy Barroso wrote:

> [...]
came up also. I have a couple of concerns
status of the jsr and will the API
a decent (read ASF compatible license)
which is usually a pain point when it

AM, Brian Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com>
trunk and the JSR annotations rather than the
the injector pluggable so that people can

AM, Musachy Barroso wrote:

> [...]
a couple of people before and everyone seems to agree
instead of our internal IoC container (guice pre 1.0
a good idea. I don't have any experience with guice
at the docs it seems like porting our stuff would not
code to maintain, and we get more
If we go with this idea, guice would be shaded
classpath conflicts.