struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: struts 2.2 and guice
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 23:53:27 GMT

On Dec 9, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Wes Wannemacher wrote:

> Don,
>
> I started another thread to talk about the API issue, but for this I
> want to give you my take. The "Managed Beans" JSR I started reading
> the other day does offer a few useful features that we don't have. One
> is the "conversation" scope, which I think Struts 2 could really
> benefit from. That's usually the first thing I have to hear from
> WebWork / Struts 2 users - "Everything is tied to either the request
> or the session, I can't build wizard-style views"

I've always wondered about these things. I tend to use the request and page storage just because
it seems simple and provides we with back button protections cheaply. I've wondered how complex
they are to implement server side and the benefits of doing it on the server. The obvious
one is security. Are there any others?

> Another benefit is that our current DI is limiting... In every case
> that I've used the Container directly, it was because I wanted to pick
> one instance out of a few possible implementation candidates. It's
> sort of silly that you have to grab the Container to say - "give me
> the implementation of interface X called 'foo'"

Guice and the JSR have a number of things to help with this now.

-bp