struts-dev mailing list archives

From phillips1021 <bphill...@ku.edu>
Subject Re: New Struts 2 Documentation Wiki - Next Step Improving Tutorials
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:02:36 GMT

Lukasz:

   I appreciate your concern about not confusing users between the tutorials
that use Maven and the Struts 2 Maven blank and other archetypes.

   I think the Struts 2 blank Maven archetype is useful for experienced
Struts 2 developers who use Maven.  But I don't think the Struts 2 Maven
archetypes are useful for someone new to Struts 2.

   Based on comments in the current Ready, Set, Go tutorial about the Struts
2 blank archetype and also that the archetype is not consistently available
in the central repository, I think a beginner tutorial that shows a user how
to setup a Struts 2 web application that uses Maven to manage the artifact
dependencies would be very beneficial to people new to Struts 2.

   Also having a Struts 2 Maven beginner's tutorial lets us build on that
project for the other tutorials (e.g. Hello World, Using Tags, etc).  I'd
like to see us have downloads (a Maven version and an Ant version) for those
other tutorials.  So someone learning Struts 2 can read through our
tutorials and download a complete example for each tutorial.

   I think Struts 2 is a great web application framework and having easy to
follow tutorials with complete examples readers can download helps us
introduce Struts 2 to new users.  For someone new to Struts 2, the Struts 2
Maven archetypes don't do that.  You have to already know Struts 2 to
understand how to adapt the Struts 2 Maven archetypes to your specific
project.  The Struts 2 Maven archetypes are good for experienced Struts 2
developers who want to get a quick setup for a specific project (e.g Struts
2 portlet application).  Beginners need more hand-holding (e.g. here are the
dependencies you need in pom.xml, struts.xml must be on the class path so
put it in src/main/resources).

   That said, I'll defer to the opinion of the majority of people on this
list who are interested in the Struts 2 documentation online.  Many of you
have much more experience then I do in introducing Struts 2 to new users.
So I'd appreciate it if others could provide some feedback on this proposal.

Bruce