struts-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Luppens <philip.lupp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XWork: Real UTF-8 in *.properties
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:52:02 GMT
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Alex Siman <aleksandr.siman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hacked class [com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.LocalizedTextUtil] and now it
> uses [http://sourceforge.net/projects/j18n/] to load resource bundles. J18n
> allows *.properties files to be in UTF-8 encoding and contain not escaped
> UTF-8 characters. This is very usable in comparison with Java's
> native2ascii. native2ascii is a very big mess!

I fully agree - the native2ascii approach is a mess and even with
IntelliJ's transparent support, I still find myself encountering
issues. I never understood why the XML properties are read by default
in UTF-8 and the line based properties use latin-1. But I digress ...

> All that needs to be replaced in LocalizedTextUtils is:
>
>        ResourceBundle.getBundle -> J18n.getBundle
>
> I know that there were some plans on UTF-8 in XWork, but I do not how the
> current status of them.

Contacting issues aside, the problem here is the GPL license.

Cheers,

Phil

> --

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
- Randy Pausch