struts-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Stone <xt...@stonescape.net>
Subject Re: The future of sitemesh integration with struts 2...
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:35:54 GMT
There is some time before SiteMesh 3 comes prime time, so there is
plenty of time for thought here.  I do love the idea of wiring it up
directly...

However, since SiteMeshFilter requires the dispatcher to handle
requests, you would have to incorporate the SiteMesh filter directly
into the struts filter chain, and I think this would require struts to
absorb much of the sitemesh codebase (unless the SiteMesh developer
were to refactor the code a whole lot more to allow it to plug in to
other filters and not be a filter on its own).  The same thing would
go for the dispatchers, since struts would have to insert them on the
chain as well.  It does seem like a lot of work without a noticeable
benefit to the users (they still have to configure a decorators file,
etc., and which filters/dispatchers are potentially causing conflicts
would be hidden from the user).  Additionally, they still would have
to configure the dispatcher, at least for the request mapping, and I
think it is less intuitive to put it into a struts config file than
web.xml where they are used to such configurations (again, at this
time).

With all that said, if you want to take on the task of working with
SiteMesh 3 and making it truly pluggable and modular (such as a
JCatapult module), that would be awesome.  Once that happens the work
on the Struts side shouldn't be so bad (presuming the core
architecture is in place)!  If the convention of Struts is to
configure and deploy everything, including JSP dispatcher, etc. then I
love the idea!

-- Christian

--
            _,--"