struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: Struts Annotations 1.0.5 Release Vote
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:53:43 GMT
On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:40:38 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Wes Wannemacher<wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:13:26 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
> >> If this was built against a new and unreleased struts-master, then my
> >> vote is -1. We need to vote to release the new struts-master before we
> >> can vote on the new struts-annotations build.
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/struts-annotations-1.0.5/m2-stagin
> >g- repository/org/apache/struts/struts-annotations/1.0.5/struts-
> > annotations-1.0.5.pom
> >
> > It's released against a released struts-master. It is released against v4
> > though and it looks like I released v5 of struts-master
>
> Um, no, you didn't. You may have run the Maven release plugin, but
> there was no vote, so there is no release.

Martin, I don't want to split hairs here, but I think you are saying that it
is not a GA release. There have been other "releases" that are sitting in
apache space that aren't GA. Of course, this could be me misunderstanding the
release process, but I always thought of the process as going this way -

1. someone goes through the maven release song-and-dance
2. we all vote
3. we let the community know the results if the vote results in our agreeing
that we will support it.

> > and didn't update this
> > one. IMO, it probably doesn't matter, since there are bound to be a few
> > artifacts that point to old struts-master.
> >
> > We can either fail this release and I'll run another one with
> > struts-master 5 as the parent, then release again some day after the
> > parent is released. Or leave this release GA (since it did pass tests and
> > get enough votes) and just try harder next time to make sure it is
> > pointed at the latest released parent artifacts... I'm indifferent, this
> > is an internal tool, but I wanted a release (GA or not) so that I could
> > continue an internal project (maven release plugin doesn't like SNAPSHOT
> > dependencies, but doesn't care about votes).
>
> If it doesn't _need_ to be built against the latest, unreleased,
> struts-master, there's no need to change anything.
>
> I will point out again, though, that just running the Maven release
> plugin does *not* constitute a release. It's only a release if there
> is a PMC vote to make it a release. If a release vote fails, for
> whatever reason, then any artifact that was automatically uploaded by
> Maven must be removed, so that it is not misinterpreted as a release.

Again, what I meant is that it is not a GA release. The version # can't be
resurrected (at least not without significant SVN changes) so, IMO, it's
released, just that it is not something that we are supporting.

Given the side effects of this process though, I understand what you are
saying. The last time a release failed voting, there were still remnants
sitting around (2.1.7), but I don't think this is the first time we have run
the release process, only to have a set of unsupported jars.

//5 minutes later after looking to see if there is anything to backup my
insane ramblings -

Given some quick research, I guess instead of "release" I should be using the
term "distribution" -

http://struts.apache.org/kickstart.html#releases

-Wes

--