struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: struts-master and struts-annotations
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:40:19 GMT
On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:11:51 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Wes Wannemacher<wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
> > There have been a few small changes to both struts-master and
> > struts-annotations... The change to struts-master will hopefully keep
> > someone (me) from stomping on the http://struts.apache.org site when
> > releasing it in the future. Unfortunately, the only way to test it is
> > to do a release (at least as far as I can tell, that's the only way).
>
> Last time we discussed this same thing, I said:
>
> "I'd say some incantation of Maven that uses the POM, to make sure
> it's not fundamentally broken. Maybe build the site and make sure all
> the developers show up in the Team List page?"

That's the tricky thing though Martin... The step that causes the problem is
the post-prepare step... When you run 'release.' I could do mvn
release:prepare, then do a dryRun of release:release, but if everyone that
wants to "test" this change does this, then we'll pollute SVN with branches
that aren't necessary. Admittedly, I'm not a Maven guru (getting better with
time though), so if any resident maven experts (ahem... flashing the Bat-symbol
at the night sky to get Wendy's attention) have input I'd be glad to know what
he or *she* might think. :)

> Don't forget that struts-master will need a PMC vote to release it
> before we can vote on, and especially release, anything that's built
> using it, including struts-annotations.

Noted... I don't mean to break protocol if I ever do it, please know that it
is not intentional and that I don't disagree with the protocols, I just have
so many processes to remember (currently working as a DoD subcontractor, so I
have been working off of so many rulesets and protocols that I feel like I am
constantly trying to play some silly frat-house drinking game [not meant
toward struts/apache, but anyone else doing federal contracting can probably
relate*]).

* http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The-Longest-Yard-and-a-Half.aspx

-Wes

--