struts-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: struts-master and struts-annotations
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:45:54 GMT
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Wes Wannemacher<wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:11:51 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Wes Wannemacher<wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
>> > There have been a few small changes to both struts-master and
>> > struts-annotations... The change to struts-master will hopefully keep
>> > someone (me) from stomping on the http://struts.apache.org site when
>> > releasing it in the future. Unfortunately, the only way to test it is
>> > to do a release (at least as far as I can tell, that's the only way).
>>
>> Last time we discussed this same thing, I said:
>>
>> "I'd say some incantation of Maven that uses the POM, to make sure
>> it's not fundamentally broken. Maybe build the site and make sure all
>> the developers show up in the Team List page?"
>>

> That's the tricky thing though Martin... The step that causes the problem is
> the post-prepare step... When you run 'release.' I could do mvn
> release:prepare, then do a dryRun of release:release, but if everyone that
> wants to "test" this change does this, then we'll pollute SVN with branches
> that aren't necessary. Admittedly, I'm not a Maven guru (getting better with
> time though), so if any resident maven experts (ahem... flashing the Bat-symbol
> at the night sky to get Wendy's attention) have input I'd be glad to know what
> he or *she* might think. :)

Wes, you may not be a Maven maven, but you clearly know enough to know
that not everything you do with Mavan causes stuff to be checked in or
branches or labels to be created or whatever. ;-) Everything you do
with Maven in the Struts project uses the struts-master artifact.
We're trying to get a sanity check here, not a comprehensive test of
every option. Like I said before, surely people can build the site
locally and see if everyone shows up. That's a good enough sanity
check for me, and it's not going to check anything in or publish
anything.

--
Martin Cooper