struts-dev mailing list archives

From Musachy Barroso <musa...@gmail.com>
Subject [SUNDAY] Struts 2 and EL
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 22:13:59 GMT
After fighting OGNL and MVEL for a while I've got to the conclusion
that they aren't the best horses to bet my money on, some of the
reasons are not even technical so I won't go into them. So I have been
playing with a new idea, why should we couple struts to an EL, when we
can use JSR 223 (Scripting for the Java platform, some docs here:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/scripting/),
and just make Struts EL agnostic? I know security would be a concern,
but at least we got standard ways to limit what these scripts can do
or not. it would be very cool if I could just set

<constant name="struts.scriptEngine" value="groovy" />

and then just use all of groovy's cool stuff in the tags. So if people
can just pick their favorite engine, instead of being stuck with our
supported implementation. What do you think?

musachy