struts-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Newfield <d...@newfield.org>
Subject Re: Class reloading
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:10:28 GMT
Musachy Barroso wrote:
> I could test the path as an absolute path, if it exist, use it,
> otherwise try it as a relative path to context root, sounds good?

Almost.  The File interface can tell you whether or not a given instance
(path) isAbsolute().  Clearly if the (absolute or relative) file does
not exist it should not be loaded, but existence shouldn't help you
decide which way to interpret the path.

This does bring up the question:  If the given (.class or .jar) file
does not exist at deployment time, will creation of it/changes to it
later trigger reloading?  Either way, just to avoid confusion that bit
of info should be added to the documentation.  (Hrm--looking at
FilesystemAlterationListener and ClassReloadingXMLWebApplicationContext
suggests that if the file exists at deployment time we should notice in
onFileChange as you currently do, but if it did not exist (and we want
to support later adding of classes/jars) we could be paying attention to
onFileCreate/onDirectoryCreate events, too.)

Oh, and once again:  Musachy++

Lately it seems like Struts is improving more due to the heroic effort
of a few individuals than as a result of a community effort.  (I have a
feeling that this has fairly consistently been the case throughout the
lifetime of struts v1 and v2.)  I'm happy that struts is improving, so
I'm not trying to discourage heroic effort, but I'm wondering if anyone
has any suggestions for how to get more involvement?

-Dale