struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject use of private final vs. protected
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 15:02:19 GMT
I am looking at subclassing JakartaMultiPartRequest and almost all of
the members are 'private final', but they are Lists and Maps, so I am
curious what the justification is... I want to subclass and get at the
data, obviously I'd have to change the declarations to protected, but
is final necessary? From what I can see, the only thing it guarantees
is that with each instance of JakartaMultiPartRequest, the Lists or
Maps will point to new instances. I guess what I'm wondering is if
there is an intention to follow a coding standard or something that
I'm missing because I don't see much point for these members to be
private or final (especially since it makes it pretty much impossible
for me to subclass it).

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher