struts-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: use of private final vs. protected
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:54:55 GMT
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Wes Wannemacher <wesw@wantii.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Al Sutton <al@funkyandroid.com> wrote:
> > Back in the dim and distant past I remember final being used to give the
> JIT an optimization hint that whatever's described as final can be inlined
> as it won't change (note JIT not compiler). It's not a big saving, but in
> tight loops and heavily called code it can all add up.
> >
> > I found http://www.javaperformancetuning.com/tips/final.shtml which
> expands on it a bit.
> >
> > Al.
> >

> That makes sense, Al, but in cases like this (non-primitives) all it
> does is finalize the reference. So the referred objects are not
> immutable, and I guess I was just wondering whether the optimization
> that final provides in this case is worth the pain it causes for
> subclassing.
>
> I agree with Musachy, we should be careful using private and final,
> especially in struts since we inject objects like this. I figured I
> could subclass it, make some changes and then have the plugin define a
> bean overriding the definition that comes from core. With the fields
> defined the way they are, it's not possible. I'll make the changes to
> JakartaMultiPartRequest, but wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking
> some rule.
>
> Funny side-note... So I was reading all the JavaDocs on commons
> file-upload and low-and-behold, who wrote most of the classes I was
> looking at? Our own Martin Cooper! So, Martin, you wanna help out with
> enhancing struts2 file uploading capabilities? 8-D

Ha! Old code always comes back to haunt, no? ;-)

Yep, I did a lot of work on that code a few years ago, partly in support of
Struts 1 and partly in support of extensibility (which I never got around to
documenting properly, but which worked like a charm). I handed the reins
over, though, at about the time the streaming API came along. While I also
did a lot of work on the S1 wrapper, I haven't even looked at the S2
wrapper, so I'm not sure you really want me messing with it. ;-) Still, if I
can find some time lurking under a rock somewhere, I can try to keep tabs on
what you're up to (assuming there's a "plan" of sorts).

--
Martin Cooper

-Wes