struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: Struts git mirrors now available
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 05:29:45 GMT
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Wes Wannemacher <wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
> Don,
>
> I'm not familiar much with Git. I know of it, and have read a little about it.
> Is there a significant advantage to using Git over Subversion?

While Atlassian still uses Subversion, I've moved over to using Git
for all my work and personal projects, and I've found it a much better
tool to keep me productive (great branching/merge, sane cli,
super-fast, etc).  However, why I'm particularly excited about having
a Struts mirror is I hope it will be a way for the community to be
much more active in its development.  With Subversion, only committers
can make any changes, so if you as a user wrote a feature, all you can
do is attach it to JIRA and hope for the best.  If you are more
adventurous, you could fork Struts into your own Subversion repo, but
then you have to deal with the pain of keeping them in sync.  Git, as
a distributed SCM tool, is built for this type of decentralized
development, and in particular, Github makes it easy to track, both
for the user and committer.

In a perfect world, we'd have an "official" Github mirror of Struts.
If a user wanted to get rid of OGNL, they can click the "Fork" button
and have their own repo.  Once they commit their changes, they send us
a pull request or at least create a JIRA issue and link to their repo.
  What is cool about this is the user can start using their feature
now with minimal hassles keeping up to date with Struts trunk, but
better yet, any other user can fork that fork and build on that
change.  You could have a whole sub-community around a certain fork,
say, one that gets rid of OGNL and all other Struts deps, all without
any need to have commit access.  As Struts committers, it allows us to
take our philosophy of letting the community sift through ideas to the
next level from just ideas and JIRA issues to actual code and forked
releases.  Our job then is to pick the creme of the crop, vet the
legal stuff, and push the chosen features back to the official Struts
repo.

Therefore, I think git will help us empower our community, make the
committers lives easier, and deliver better code quicker.  Who could
argue with that? :)

Don