struts-dev mailing list archives

From Karan Malhi <karan.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION]
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 04:29:59 GMT
Thanks Wes,

Appreciate such a prompt response.

> There are likely to be actions mapped via other means. There are many
> plugins
> available, most prominently the REST plugin and the Convention plugin that
> allow our users to map actions without any XML

So a user would need these plugins to map actions without XML. Struts
default behavior would require a user to map the action in the XML file and
that would be struts.xml, right? So would it be fair to say that if I parse
the struts.xml file and all included xml files, then I will have a list of
all available actions in the webapp (assuming user is not using the plugins
you mentioned) ?

> > 3. I was planning to write a plugin, but wanted to have access to the
> > ServletContext within the plugin. Could you show me how to do that -- I
> > tried implementing ServletContextAware in the plugin class, but that did
> > not work for me (maybe that interface is only supposed to be implemented
> by
> > actions)
>
> That interface is meant for actions. The best way to get a ServletContext
> is
> to do the following from an interceptor -
>
> final ActionContext context = invocation.getInvocationContext();
> ServletContext servletContext = (ServletContext)
>
> context.get(org.apache.struts2.StrutsStaticsSERVLET_CONTEXT);

Although I did not manage to get access to  the actual ServletContext, I
believe ActionContext.getContext().getApplication() would give me access to
the Map of context attributes. Since I just need to  read an attribute from
it, I believe this approach should suffice.

> You may face a few issues though. I've thought briefly about EJB + Struts2
> lately and I'll admit to a lack of experience with EJB, but it seems to me
> that it would be somewhat difficult to combine the two easily. Many of the
> EJB
> annotations can appear on private members (i.e. @PersistenceContext). In
> Struts2, we create actions via our own ObjectFactory, which can be
> overridden
> by a plugin.

On application startup we collect information about all classes which need
injection. Then when instances of classes are created, we use that
information to perform injection. The plugin which I wanted to write would
be an ObjectFactory and I intended to override the buildBean method and
perform the injection there. Actually, I just realized that I could get
access to the Map of ServletContext attributes as shown below:
  public class OpenEJBObjectFactory extends ObjectFactory{
   public Object buildBean(Class clazz, Map map) throws Exception {
        Map application = (Map)map.get("application");
       // THIS IS WHERE I COULD READ THE ATTRIBUTE AND
      // CREATE THE ACTION INSTANCE AND PERFORM INJECTION
   }
}

> I'm not particularly familiar with OpenEJB, but I'd like to help however I
> can. So, let me know if you need the help.

Excellent. I really appreciate it. You are already helping in a great way by
answering my questions. Thank you so much.