struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: More intelligent result type for convention plugin.
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2009 01:37:34 GMT
On Friday 13 February 2009 10:46:40 Musachy Barroso wrote:
> The performance improves only when the UnknownHandler is called (no
> action mapping for current url), in the rest of the cases the result
> mappings are built when the application boots.
>
> I don't like the idea as it moves away from logical result names, and
> adds another set of "rules" not conventions, IMO. These rules would
> increase in complexity as people start using it outside the simple use
> cases, like, "how do I add parameters to a redirect?"

I agree with Musachy that it would be bad to move away from logical result
names. Qi, I would suggest that you post what you've got as a plugin up on
google code, then register it in the Plugin Registry. This way we can gauge
whether or not other users would adopt it.

Having logical result names adds a level of indirection that can be handy. For
instance, in your example, you have a logical step that is then evaluated to
find the details. One place that this could be handy is in the "login"
scenario... In the beginning, let's assume your app has a global "login"
result that dispatches to a JSP page, but at some point in the future, you may
want to have a form snippet returned via AJAX (displayed as a modal dialog).

-Wes
--

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice