struts-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: CI for Struts and the Struts Zone
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 03:08:42 GMT
Well, it's not a requirement, but I was sort of thinking that the second
instance, that hosts our reference apps might need restarted frequently.
Imagine that it's open to the public and we get offensive names added in
the various people managers. I plan to use it to test. Each time we do a
release, I like to deploy showcase and then go through and click each
link and test it out. But, in reality, if it's open to the public, I'm
guessing we'll see a few f-words, etc. posted in there. Another
possibility is that we inadvertently introduce a memory leak or
something. It will present in the apps, but Hudson won't care about it.
IMO, the memory footprint of tomcat is small enough that we can get by
with two and not have any problems.

Since the build for s2 takes 15 minutes on my machine, I'm guessing that
even on the zone it will take a while. By having two instances, we can
handle problems with the apps, w/o interrupting builds that might be
running on Hudson.

I'm not against running only one, but just thought that two might be
better. Another choice would be to have more than tomcat for the
reference apps. If we have enough space/memory/etc. I wouldn't mind
setting up Tomcat/Jetty/Resin/JBoss/Whatever we get our hands on. I'm
planning on setting up Apache httpd with mod_proxy so that we can do
something like -

http://struts.zones.apache.org/jetty6x/struts2-showcase
http://struts.zones.apache.org/tomcat55/struts2-showcase

I'm not sure at what point I'll kill the zone, but I figure if I'm not
trying, then we're not testing enough ;)

-Wes