struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: Struts2 and joda-time
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 15:46:54 GMT
Date is pretty much deprecated except for a way to carry a long
primitive around because of the TZ and conversions it lacks. It fails
in some cases and most of the core API on Date is deprecated. Most
folks should be using Calendar for date and time correctness if they
don't want to use Joda and stick with the JDK classes. Calendar
however is very clunky and mutable. Therefore, most people I know that
need to internationalize or localize use Joda because it is correct,
simple and immutable. Also, something very similar to the Joda date/
time API is probably going to be in Java 8.0 or something like that
via JSR 310, unless it gets squashed or no one pushes it forward. Even
still, Joda is the benchmark these days for a date/time API.

-bp