struts-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Nested-tag support
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:13:43 GMT
--- On Thu, 12/11/08, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 22:36:37 Musachy Barroso wrote:
> > I am sort if confused here, what are the advantages of this?
> <s:form name="myForm">
>   <s:push value="person.address">
>     <s:textfield name="street"/>
>   </s:push>
> [...]

The issue is the generation of the form element name, the input element value stuff would
already work.

If push kept a stack of the names of pushed elements it could be used to generate the "name"
attribute--but wouldn't you'd have to correlate with the depth at which getStreet() was found?

Let's say person.address didn't have a "street" property: currently the value stack would
be searched until a getStreet() is found or the stack runs out. So you'd have to either change
the semantics of value stack lookups (bad, and would break modelDriven, and probably a bunch
of other things) or provide a way to match pushed objects' names with where objects are found
on the stack.

That paragraph made sense in my head, and I'm pretty sure I know what I mean, but it's not
coming out particularly well.

Dave