struts-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Joseph Krogh <andr...@officenet.no>
Subject Re: Nested-tag support
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:32:28 GMT
Anyone?
I really would like to see this included sooner than later and would appreciate any feedback.

On Thursday 11 December 2008 13:18:20 Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> Hi all!
> One of the most usefull things about (2.0 < Struts >= 1.1) is the nested-tag-library.
It allows you to do:

> <nested:form name="myForm">
>   <nested:nest property="person.address">
>     <nested:text property="street"/>
>   </nested:nest>
> </nested:form>
>
> And it will render the following:
> <input type="text" name="person.address.street"/>
>
> Strust-2.x lacks this feature and you're responsible for producing the correct "nested-prefix"
yourself.
> Questing; Was the decition to make the Struts2-tags not work as the nested-tags made
on purpose? If so, what the retional for it?

> I propose adding this functionality to the existing 2.1 src by doing the following:
>
> - Introduce a property in struts.properties (default false in 2.1, but shold be true
or removed in future versions of Struts)
>   struts.tag.nested_support=true
>   If set to "true", the struts-tags will behave like the good ol' nested-tags.
> - Modify existing sources
>
> The s:form equivalent of the nested-example above should be something like:
>
> 	<s:form name="myForm">
> 	  <s:push value="person.address">
> 		<s:textfield name="street"/>
> 	  </s:push>
> 	</s:form>
>
> I believe this is quite simple to implement given that the valuestack is always available
and contains everything we need.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no>
Senior Software Developer / CEO