struts-dev mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <jeromy.ev...@blueskyminds.com.au>
Subject Re: adoption of s2 (was S2 as JSR for Action Framework)
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2008 02:03:30 GMT
Just an interesting note:

According to the Google keyword tool in English speaking countries and
territories:
 - the number of searches containing the phrase "struts" (-cars) has
been flat the last 12 months (approx 1,000,000 per month).  I wish I
could compare that to previous years.
 - this is approximately double the volume of searches containing JSF
(which is trending upwards)
 - this is approximately triple the volume of searches containing EJB
(which is trending upwards)
 - rails queries exceeds struts by more than 2 times and trending upwards
 - grails is low but increasing rapidly (50,000)
 - wicket has been relatively steady (135,000)

Unfortunately there's insufficient information for "struts2" or "struts
2". I also wasn't able to narrow it down to spring-specific technology
either (but spring certainly is massively popular at 13M searches/month).

What can be drawn from this? Not much in isolation, but based on my own
behaviour using Google to lookup struts information I'd say there's a
direct positive relationship between search volume and adoption.
Combined with trends in occurrences in job advertisements, user-group
activity and blog-traffic we'd probably get a better idea.

Perhaps it also indicates that struts and spring have more bugs, worse
documentation or less-skilled developers than the "standard"
frameworks.  ;-)   But I doubt it.