struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Don Brown" <donald.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [s2] Struts 2 OSGi Plugin
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 03:18:01 GMT
The key problem is JSP files cannot be packaged in a JAR, which is the
default format of a bundle.  The way systems like Sling and Spring
Application Platform get around it is by embedding a Tomcat or Jetty
instance within the OSGi container, then adding OSGi headers to the
war manifest and deploying it as an OSGi bundle.  The hybrid approach
taking by the OSGi plugin puts an OSGi container in an existing
webapp, but doesn't try to run a second application server in OSGi
space, therefore JSP's won't work without significantly modifying a
JSP compiler, and besides, Sun has basically deprecated JSP's in favor
of JSF and even replacing JSP with Facelets in JSP 2.0.  Velocity or
Freemarker templates are so much easier to develop, test, and debug,
so I don't really see the loss.

Don