struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [s2] Struts 2 OSGi Plugin
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 03:25:17 GMT
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Don Brown <donald.brown@gmail.com> wrote:

> The key problem is JSP files cannot be packaged in a JAR, which is the
> default format of a bundle.  The way systems like Sling and Spring
> Application Platform get around it is by embedding a Tomcat or Jetty
> instance within the OSGi container, then adding OSGi headers to the
> war manifest and deploying it as an OSGi bundle.  The hybrid approach
> taking by the OSGi plugin puts an OSGi container in an existing
> webapp, but doesn't try to run a second application server in OSGi
> space, therefore JSP's won't work without significantly modifying a
> JSP compiler, and besides, Sun has basically deprecated JSP's in favor
> of JSF and even replacing JSP with Facelets in JSP 2.0.  Velocity or
> Freemarker templates are so much easier to develop, test, and debug,
> so I don't really see the loss.

To add to what Don says above, I see more and more people moving away from
JSP, and towards solutions like Velocity and FreeMarker, to get away from
all the frustrating limitations of JSP, standard or no standard. This is
especially true as people move away from the old "render the UI on the
server and ship it to the client" model of web app development and towards
newer rich client models based on JSON or XML data transfer, since the need
for a templating language is vastly reduced in such environments.

--
Martin Cooper