struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject RE: environment awareness (project stage in JSF)
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:52:55 GMT
We d something similar as well, but we decided to use a simple env var in all environments...
So the exact same EAR can deploy to any environment and the code within simply looks for that
var and acts accordingly.  Simple but highly effective.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Roughley <ian@fdar.com>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 2:59 PM
To: Struts Developers List <dev@struts.apache.org>
Subject: Re: environment awareness (project stage in JSF)

I've actually had to implement this type of feature in multiple
enterprise applications.  However, I would say that it's not knowing the
environment, but being able to change configuration elements per
environment that is important (for what I did, and in rails I think this
is the most important elements).  i.e. change the SMTP, temp file dir,
admin user email address, etc. depending on whether you are testing
locally vs. production.

If developers are using spring, there is a way to load property files
with a hostname extension (which is one solution) - but should we always
expect users to be using Spring?  The other question is being able to
modify struts.property properties depending on env (i.e. devMode=true in
development and never in production).

/Ian