struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Al Sutton" <al.sut...@alsutton.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Bring Convention plugin into trunk and deprecate Zero Config
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 05:07:41 GMT
Has anyone made a web page comparing the plugins?, if it took a while to get
to grips with it's probably worth offering users a page with something like
a checkbox grid feature comparison.

It could also help some of us understand what each one does ;).

Al.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Tiernay" <btiernay@hotmail.com>
To: "Struts Developers List" <dev@struts.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:43 PM
Subject: RE: [VOTE] Bring Convention plugin into trunk and deprecate Zero
Config

+1

I think that this plugin is of great worth to every day development.  I
would like to echo some other people's sentiments that a unified plugin
would be a significant value add to new struts developers. I know that there
is much overlap and confusion between:

1. Zero-config
2. Code behind
3. Smart urls
4. REST
5. Convention

It took me a while to mentally model the differences / similarities between
them all , and surely I can't be the only one :)

I understand that ideally plugins should have high cohesion and low
coupling... but having so many options does more harm than good in this
case.  IMO this is an example of plugin fragmentation that should be
resolved with a unified, best-of-breed approach, leaving the other plugins
as they are for those concerned about deprecation.

Bob