struts-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Leland <rlel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feature sponsorship proposal
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:27:29 GMT
I will tell you this, I hate overt marketing.
    When I go to the Movies and they start playing commercials, not
previews, I'll close my eyes, put my fingers in my ears or walk out to
take a break.
My wife laughs at me since her background is Marketing Research and says
it doesn't bother her. So far she hasn't threatened
to not go out with me :)!

Seriously, I have occasionally wondered if there is a better balance
model for OSS projects. On one hand there is Spring where they actually
are able to pay their core developers based on proceeds from
training/certification. On the other hand we have
a mostly community/voluntary based development such as Struts/Apache.  I
am not sure where that balance should lie or if it should change.
Nor do I feel I have the right to even suggest what it should be. Though
I think its a healthy question to ask every now and then.
How can Struts continue to grow and maintain an identity that active
committers and the active user community can live with.

Related to this topic, and one that would be interesting is to find out
what the turnover rate is between different OSS projects are.
Is there a correlation between that and the development/contribution
model they use ? Struts has been lucky in that some of the original
committers
such as Martin Cooper and Ted Husted still stay involved. Still there
has been a quite a number of committers over the years,
and I wonder how that compares to other projects that have also been
successful.

-Rob